Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sleeping In My Crib!

Since my parents brought me home from the hospital, I've slept in their bed. This co-sleeping arrangement all stemed from a very scary dusky episode I had the day after I was born, where I briefly stopped breathing. My parents were scared it would happen again, so naturally they wanted to keep an eye on me at night and the co-sleeping bed was bought and I've been in their bed ever since. It got to a point where I had to be with my Mommy ALL the time and I even had to be held during naps. This was fine the first few weeks, but I wore my Mommy down! So she started introducing naptime in the crib a little bit at a time...putting me in there when I was already asleep. Gradually, after many weeks of persistence, she put me in my crib awake to see if I would fall asleep on my own. A little musical crib thingy gave me something to look at and keep my attention while Mom left the room. I cried being left on my own and she'd come and soothe me...every time and sometimes it would take quite a while to get me to sleep. (Feeding, changing diaper, soothing, laying me down & repeat!) Well...last night, after a warm bath and a big meal, she bundled me up, put me in bed wide awake, and waited. I made a lots of little noises as I listened to my music and watched the pretty lights. After about 15 minutes WITHOUT crying, I eventually drifted off into a deep sleep!! I slept for almost 4 hours!! Mom was thrilled...she fed me and then put me back in my crib, where I slept another 3 until I was hungry again. I went back in the crib a third time in the wee hours of the morning, but eventually the noise of people waking (my brother) woke me up and I was done with the crib. That means everyone in the household slept a full nights sleep! (Praise The Lord!) It wasn't an easy process, but a constant pattern paid off. We will try it again tonight!

1 comment:

Kay Bowman said...

Sweet Lief Bowman is precious and beautiful, and I'm so happy he is sleeping in his crib, all by himself! What a wonderful thing that is! Mommy can start getting some rest! Love you both!!